Friday, March 4, 2016

I have a job, Nintendo. Why did you make Fates so hard?

If TVTropes is to be believed, then Fire Emblem: Awakening caused a civil war within the Fire Emblem fandom. See, older FE games had a "permadeath", meaning that if one of your soldiers died in the game board, then they died for real, and forever. If one of the main characters died, then the game was over and you had to restart that battle. This forced the player to plan out every last move if they wanted to survive each chapter with their army of characters intact.

I'm not going to lie; I was never one of the players who refused to let any single character die, no matter how minor. There was always at least one ax-wielding fellow who die in their introductory map because they insisted on spawning way too close to enemy soldier. Even when I was a teen with relatively large amounts of free time, I was not the greatest fan of the permadeath feature. So I'm one of the players who likes that Awakening introduced a casual mode.

That being said, Fates is difficult even on casual mode. Especially Conquest. I blame the stinginess of the RNG, which insists on giving out level ups that refuse to cover for each type of unit's weakness. For example, I give you my Charlotte:

From my 3DS' unwieldy screenshot-taking feature 
High HP, strength, and speed, but supbar skill, defense, and resistance. This means that, more than once, Charlotte has been murdered by the Nth or so enemy that ambushes her in some corner of the map or other. Most of the time it's my fault, I admit, because I forget that I can't do what I used to do with a berserker this far into other FE games. She will be killed by some random sorcerer. She will be criticalled by some random enemy swordmaster with a Killing Edge.

I'm planning to do a Hoshido run in Classic mode soon. Jesus take the wheel. In other news, Charlotte is one of my favorites. I married her to Prince Xander despite my pseudo-incest threat last post
  

No comments:

Post a Comment