Saturday, March 19, 2016

Good news: I have a job!!!

Yesterday, I found out which hospital I'll be working in this coming July. Without giving up too much personal information, I can only say that I'm very happy. Pathology is a challenging field, and I have an opportunity to go into academic medicine. Four years of hard work, nine if you count undergrad, and I'm almost where I always wanted to be. And I cannot describe how good it feels to budget with a paycheck in mind rather than student loans.

I went to celebrate with my family and one of my closest friends to one of my favorite restaurants. One I used to visit since childhood, though much less often back then since I had no money at all. When my brother and I got our first jobs, we used to visit the place often. (Well, first real jobs. When we were much younger and got some money for shores, we used to buy Yu-Gi-Oh trading cards).

Hot brownie sundae; my favorite in the world
The only complaint I have about this restaurant is that their servings are too big and too difficult to resist, meaning we have little room left for dessert. Out of all the food in this restaurant, their hot brownie sundae stands out. The presentation on the right makes it look like any random brownie under vanilla ice cream, and the vanilla ice cream might be nothing special, but the brownie. The brownie is incomparable.

My brother says that this brownie sundae is what he missed most when he left for the military. He says he's tried multiple times to recreate it, both by baking and by buying brownies at fancy bakeries, but he's never quite managed. Nothing, from the texture to the taste, was ever the same.

Last night, our dessert came on a plate rather than a cup (as seen on the picture), and my brother confirmed that the secret is in the brownie itself, not in the ice cream or the hot fudge. I've been telling him as much for years, but he's the type that likes to see things for himself.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting matched!! It must be exciting :) I'll one day be matched too... maybe, if I last another 3 years without getting too disillusioned about becoming a doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're anything like the majority of American students, then the crushing student debt should keep you slogging through the worst of medical school.

      The good news is that nothing feels better than matching and knowing you have a relatively well-paying job coming up in a field you're (hopefully" excited about. Job satisfaction and career security are so rare nowadays that just coming somewhat close to them feels like reaching the stars.

      Good luck. And feel free to hit me up with any questions you have!

      Delete