Monday, March 14, 2016

Accessible adult coloring books: what a time to be alive

Buy on Amazon.
A few months back, I witnessed a . . . heated discussion about the fall of our civilization. Someone noticed that adult coloring books are outselling "real books" on Amazon, which caused them deep discomfort. Coloring books, after all, are for children. 

I must admit that I thought as much, though learning about "adult" coloring books didn't cause me any pain. In fact, I went to Amazon immediately to locate one of these books, then despaired at the price tag on the things. Though I wanted to try them, I couldn't justify spending more than ten bucks on one. Or more than five bucks. I am, and will be until July, a broke student.

This weekend, I went to Costco with my brother to get some cheap running shoes and was thwarted by "blue laws" (the Costco is in some town that won't sell anything but food on "the Sabbath", which I thought was on Saturday . . .?) Anyway, I couldn't get the running shoes, but my brother got me Millie Marotta's Tropical World. Which is an adult coloring book. Behold my artistic vision:

Eh . . . imagine it's rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.

I've been using my favorite pens for it: G2 pilot gel pens. They are expensive and probably murdering the environment in some way, but they're so pretty! When I need to study, I use them to make my notes happy and colorful. The colors are sharp and the book pages are of high enough quality that the ink does not bleed through.

Coloring this little beak has been very relaxing. I can't color within the lines even as an adult, but it still so relaxing. If these books are ending civilization, then I'm happy to contribute. I highly recommend them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment