Saturday, December 26, 2015

There are drug adds on Youtube now? I bet they've been there for a while

So I was watching stand up comedy videos yesterday and I randomly got an add for a drug, which first of all, it's odd that YouTube is trying to sell me an drug for depression. What's my search history telling you, Google? Are you implying something?

Anyway, this standard/boring ad reminded me of another one I saw on TV years ago:


I'm not here to tell people if they should be taking Abilify for depression or not. I'm not a psychiatrist. I'm just here to complain about the crap info in this add. I don't even mean that roughly half the add is about the possible horrible side effects since any medication ad has no choice but to do that. But this particular ad doesn't give any specific evidence as to how or why Abilify helps with depression, much less to what degree. My first thought on seeing it years ago was "huh, isn't it weird that they didn't mention that aripiprazole is anti-psychotic? I guess they didn't want to scare their customers." 

It says that "some people had symptom improvement as early as one to two weeks". How many people? From what sample size? As compared to what? How much symptom improvement? How long was the symptom improvement sustained? How many people had any of the scary list of side effects that followed? For how long? Did they have to discontinue the medication? How many people's symptoms worsened? All of this would be important information for someone considering this drug.

Drug ads are a bit of a sore topic in the medical community. I've heard doctors argue that they shouldn't be permitted at all since the overwhelming majority of patients don't have the background to understand most drugs. I'm not sure if I'd go that far. I think patients have every right to know all their options for treatment. However, I do think ads like the one above are manipulative, even if they're not outright lying. 

I mean "some people" could mean "8 out 10" or "8 out of 10,000". Would it really have taken so much more time to say "in our study, X out of Y people experiences symptom improvement in one to two weeks" rather than "some people"? Would it really have been that much harder for the layperson to understand such a figure?

Since tedious drug ads are everywhere, I think there should be some kind of class in high school about how to interpret them. For most healthy people, the ads are easy to tune out, but I bet a sick person might be drawn into asking for a medication that wouldn't be good for them. If their physician doesn't do their due diligence, they might end up with an inappropriate drug. 

1 comment: