Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Nostalgia in the land of reboots

I wasn't in the USA at the height of the Star Wars craze. For the sequels, anyway. I suspect I wasn't even alive when the original movies that fans worship so much first came out. So I always get a little mystified when grown people declare, with much dramatic flare, that such-and-such reboot and/or sequel has "ruined their childhood".

Even with the hyperbole removed, imagining that a new property in a franchise I liked as a child would somehow retroactively negate my past enjoyment. . . well, how would that even work? I mean, I "grew up" on Harry Potter, actually taught myself English with the books, had honest-to-God dreams HP5 coming out after Goblet of Fire. . . and I don't care about this new thing about Fantastic Beasts or whatever it's called that's coming out. If it sucks, it won't change how much joy the original HP series brought me.

So I didn't understand all the distress about reboots of "old" classics. Until I saw this:



Is this trailer any good?

I don't know. I don't think I can judge it objectively, insofar as a work of fiction can ever be judged objectively.

See, when I was little (in my early teens), my mom brought home a VCR copy of Disney's Tarzan. For a while, my brother and I watched this movie like once a day. After the Twin Towers, our house went without cable for a while (couldn't have been long, but we were kids so it felt like forever). We watched this movie on loop for that period. Then we watched this cartoon before going to school in the morning. There was a Tarzan level on Kingdom Hearts that my brother and I loved.

When I realized this trailer was for a Tarzan movie, all the great feelings about the Disney thing flooded me. When I noticed that this trailer was going for a different tone, I got. . . disappointed. And vaguely angry that this new thing didn't make me feel exactly as the Tarzan cartoons made me feel when I was a kid.

It's hard to say for sure, but I don't think I like this trailer even when I make a conscious effort to not compare it to a Disney cartoon. The characters are out of focus. There's a little too much rambling about scary Africa for my tastes. We get to see an ape like once (will they talk like the Disney apes? Sorry, I can't stop comparing). Then at the end, there's Samuel L. Jackson, speaking in a tone that doesn't really match with the atmosphere that the trailer was going for.

But am I just grasping at straws to justify unfair feelings towards the movie for not being exactly what I remember as a kid? Maybe. Maybe the movie will be amazing.

I just don't have much hope that it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment