Sunday, December 20, 2015

My adventures in German continue

So, I've kept up with teaching myself a little German every day. It's hard. Way harder than learning Portuguese, which I made relatively quick progress with. Having Spanish as a native tongue probably helped with that more than I realized even though by now I'm more fluent in English than Spanish.

I got myself a notebook to write tidbits in German. At the moment, it looks like I've returned to first grade, though I hope my handwriting is better. Today, I worked out that "sie" means a lot more than I first realized thanks to this:

At first I was like . . . but Männer is "men" and "sie" is "she"
Then it hit me! The verb decides what "sie" means because . . . why not? That makes sense, I guess. I'm sure Duolingo tried to tell me something like that at some point, but I was like "okay, alright, I'm tired though, next exercise".

ETA on 12/21/15: Apparently there's a different verb for animals eating (fressen) than for humans eating (essen) and it's insulting to use fressen when referring to a human. This feels like something I would forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment