Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Duolingo: I've finally finished my Portuguese skill tree!

After taking a month off during inpatient family medicine, I've finally completed the entire tree.
Most individual skill sets are not gold anymore and the percentage thing on the right of the screen tells me I'm at 48% fluency, but still. Go me.

I've really noticed the change in my everyday fluency. When I get Portuguese-speaking patients, I can get a history so much easier. I'm still at the stage where I understand more than I can speak, but that's still incredibly helpful, both for me and the patients.

My current goal is to go back up the tree and gild it before starting another language. I'm eyeing German, Russian, and Italian next. Italian because I tried to learn it in high school, and German and Russian because they both sound cool in movies.

But patience is key. First, I have to improve my Portuguese skill tree. I'm hoping to read Veronika Decide Morrer in Portuguese sometime next year.

Hey, if I can teach myself Russian before I die, I'll be able to read Notes from Underground in the original language. Maybe even write a blog post about the differences.

Which reminds me, I need to read La Fiesta del Chivo in Spanish before I forget how to read and write in my native tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment