Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Man from U.N.C.L.E: it exceeded my admittedly low expectations

I don't go to the movies often. Part of it is my general dislike of going outside; another part is my reluctance to spend money on anything that isn't legible or edible, and the rest is just laziness. I know that seeing a film on the big screen, especially an action or sci fi film, can be incredibly satisfying. But actually getting to the theater can be such a hassle.

Last weekend, I wanted to celebrate finishing my odious rotation in the ER. I also wanted to catch up with an old friend who asked that I pick between this movie, some new Mission Impossible nonsense, and a videogame film. The choice was obvious.

I could analyze this flick in terms of plot, characterization, pacing, costume, score, social context, history, etc., but I think the best way to summarize its quality is much simpler. My friend and I were both in a sour mood when we sat down at the theater, and we both left smiling and joking.

Verdict: this is a movie worth watching.

I do have more to add, though. The three leads had great chemistry and they were all relatable, insofar as action film wish-fulfillment characters can be. Gabby stayed within the constraints of an action film damsel in distress (I didn't claim this movie is trying to be progressive), but at least she had her own agenda in the plot, and was allowed to make choices to achieve that agenda. She spent the last act of the movie as a hostage, and her agenda did revolve around a man (her father), but still. At least she's someone I'd like to go for lunch with.

The most surprising part of the film was Henry Cavill, who played the suave American spy Napoleon Solo. The only other film of his I've seen is the tragedy that was Man of Steel. I walked out of that movie convinced that this gentleman was no more than a pretty face with the charisma of a soggy napkin, but it looks like the director of Man of Steel is to blame for that travesty.

Henry Cavill was charming throughout the movie. He managed to make utterly ridiculous scenes (like the one where he eats a sandwich while his partner spy is gunned down by armed boats) seem more fun than silly. Though he portrayed the character as a flirt who robbed old ladies blind, I never got the feeling he was sleazy. Whoever directed this allowed him to make facial expressions that conveyed more than mild constipation. Good for him.

The Russian spy was played by Armie Hammer, who Google informs me is some American actor who's been trying to make it in Hollywood for some years. I have no way to asses the accuracy of his "Russian" accent, but I can report that he was also a fairly likable character. His anger issues and "emotional disturbance" were shoved in the audience's face with a shameless lack of subtlety (the ever original shaking hand thing), but Hammer managed to imbue his supposed brute with plenty of depth and vulnerability.

All in all, I recommend the movie. It seems to have earned itself a respectable fandom that's producing lots of cool material to keep people entertained. More of that in this tumblr.



4 comments:

  1. Gabby intrigues me and I want to give Henry Cavill a chance. So I might see this.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabby is . . . *sigh* The potential is there, but Guy Ritchie is the same guy who fridged Irene Adler in one of his Sherlock movies in like the first scene. It's why my expectations were low to begin with.

    He did right by Cavill, though. The poor guy was going to go down as a wet rag in my book. That scene in MoS when Papa Kent dies in the tornado and Clark just stands there with his mouth hanging open . . . I was mentally screaming at the big screen YOU HAVE SUPER STRENGTH AND SUPER SPEED OMFG YOU'RE HONESTLY GOING TO JUST LET YOUR FATHER DIE AUUGHSJNBSLKD.

    No actor could've made that worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the original TV series (when it was repeated in the 1990s) and really enjoyed it. This is definitely on my 'to watch' list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty fun, though I'm not sure if it's faithful to the original, which I never watched.

      Delete