Monday, August 17, 2015

Social Media is Bullshit by B. J. Mendelson - a funny title to recommend on a blog

As I've complained before, I'm not the most social person in the world. Not even in the online word. Yet common wisdom tells me that I must have a robust social media presence if I want anyone ever to notice my writing, hence why I'm trucking along in this here blog. I picked up the following title hoping to get some pats in the back about the rather . . . inadequate effort I'm putting into gaining a following.

It's been an interesting read, though it's yet to offer me the get-out-of-marketing card I'd hoped for. Marketing is important, and the internet is one of the few places where a person can take a stab at it without a massive budget.

Of course, the massive budget would be immensely helpful, and that's one of the points Mendelson makes. It's very unlikely that I (or anyone) will "make it" with the help of a plucky blog/facebook/twitter/youtube account without help. Even if we have a high quality product.

What did I learn from this book?


  • How famous social media successes (ex. Justin Beiber) actually happened.
  • How rich corporations can afford to sink time and money into social media advertising that a solo artist like me couldn't afford if I sold my soul to Satan.
  • How facebook is as evil as I've always suspected.
  • That face-to-face marketing is still the most important (though ew).
  • How not to be obnoxious to other solo bloggers/artists online in a shallow attempt to drive traffic to my lonely blog.
  • How I should focus all my attentions on one blog/website rather than spread myself thin on every social media platform on the net.
  • Hopefully, how to spot scammers preying on artists and/or small business owners with promises of social media magic.
  • That first and foremost, I need to be offering something worthwhile if I have any hope of ever building a "base".
  • To chill out and try to have fun with this blogging thing!


So I would highly recommend this book. It's an interesting, level-headed perspective on social media and marketing.

Amazon

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like my kind of book on social media. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm not overly social or aspire to be. And I agree, one (or a few) platforms are enough of a presence, rather than trying to half-heartedly have a foot on all the sites. Besides, genuine connections matter more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really mostly struggling without to get people to even see that my blog exists, since I doubt that just a steady stream of posts will get me noticed. My hope is that once I start publishing on Amazon, potential readers will just be happy to find a place where they can read more of my thoughts. Assuming anyone ever sees my stuff, but we all have to start somewhere.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book that has a lot of truth in it. Definitely going on my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the first half is definitely worth a read. The part about how to market I was still ugh about, mostly because I don't want to market.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation.
    I think one of the other important things in Social Media is having similar interests.

    ReplyDelete