Thursday, October 29, 2015

Daredevil on Netflix: Episode Two



  • I forgot this one started with the flippy timeline thing where the first shot is of the hero all bloodied up . . . in a dumpster in this case.
  • Opening credits are still cool, and still boring. The music manages to be both soothing and anxious at the same time.
  • You know, technically, hot nurse shouldn't be moving Matt without first checking his neck, but he's unconscious so technically, he'd need at minimum a head/neck/spine CT scan. He needs a C-collar. I'm wondering why hot nurse didn't call 911, and I recall from my first watch that this is never explained to my satisfaction. 
  • Yo, those were blown pupils they showed on screen. Her first though wouldn't have been "blind". It would've been brain herniation.
  • Now she tries to call 911, after the shittiest trauma survey ever.
  • Sad daddy flashbacks.
  • Kid Matt's suturing technique is sub-par, but sad daddy shouldn't be making him do this anyway.
  • This scene with Karen is the first time Foggy is likable without caveats. 
  • I thought hot nurse Clare was gonna have her own story from the whole "the less you know about me the better" comeback, but I just remember her getting kidnapped that other episode.
  • But how did the Russians know that kidnapping a kid would bait Matt? They're gonna poo-poo this plot point, but the backstory flashbacks I'm treated to in full detail?
  • This flashback at least has some cool stuff about Braille. 
  • Sad daddy doesn't have a scar from that last cut. And it would've scarred.
  • I do feel bad for Sad daddy though.
  • I'm pretty sure that fire hydrant killed the Russian mobster. Daredevil is a murderer.
  • Foggy is doing a good job with Karen. He tried to assuage her fears with information without making her feel foolish for her anxiety or pressuring her to go back home. 
  • So I guess Matt's been Daredeveling long enough that he might be known around Hell's Kitchen, so I'll let the thing with the Russians knowing exactly how to bait him pass. Maybe he's been rescuing children for months or something. Or maybe they had several random kidnappings going on and waited for Matt to notice one.
  • Okay, you can tell someone's bleeding if they're wearing red. It's black that hides the blood. I know it's just a saying. But still. Annoying.
  • Also, it looks like Sad daddy's name is Jack.
  • Okay so I've been whining about the flashbacks, but Sad daddy did a nice job in that phone conversation. I did space out for a bit, though.
  • I'm serious about the Russian mobster. He would've died of a depressed skull fracture.
  • So I'm sure that from the very beginning, Matt knew that if he hadn't encouraged Sad daddy to back out of the losing on purpose thing, Sad daddy might not have been killed. There's is guilt about that.
  • I remember this super-long fight scene.
  • Matt'a lung collapsed in the beginning of the episode, and now he's ready to take on mobster even though the sun hasn't even risen yet? I guess he is.
  • Why the hell did that mobster shoot at the roof? He inexperienced? . . . Hope he didn't get anyone who might've been one floor up.
  • Kudos to Matt's stunt double (or maybe the actor, Idk) for doing such a good job of making Matt look dizzy throughout the fight.

This episode was . . . uneven. The medical stuff was a disaster, but whatever. I'm used to that. But I've got a headache, so maybe I'm being harsh. Most of my plot questions were answered. Foggy got a bit of development so he seems less smarmy when compared to the Foggy from the first episode. I even got a little into the Sad daddy storyline.

But . . . but. I still feel like a 3.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment