Thursday, May 19, 2016

I am a terrible cook

In an attempt to improve my awful, USA northeast professional diet, I've been trying to become a better cook. Today, I tried to make zucchini fries. Unlike any logical person, I did this without consulting any recipe. This was the result:
I'm not even a good photographer
It did not taste particularly good, but I think I've identified my biggest misstep. I used too much flour for the single egg I mixed into the batter? Whatever you call it. I considered using oil to soften it up, but I didn't want to overdo it with the fats. So, I ended up with clumpy batter that didn't coat all the zucchini slices properly. Then I managed to burn a couple of them because I turned the stove on too early and tried to fry as I prepared more zucchini slices to be cooked. Disaster.

Next I made an omelet, also with a single egg because I don't like to have more than two eggs for breakfast unless it's one of my gym days. I stir-fried mushrooms, cilantro, and shredded carrots with a two teaspoons of olive oil. That also didn't work well because the mushrooms started burning, so I had to add a pinch of butter before adding the egg. Now that I think about it, I forgot to add spices and cheese to my omelet, which probably explains why the entire meal tasted a little bland and felt a little dry. 

Oh well. It was edible and filling, and I didn't go to one of the three bakeries near my house to have a slice of cheesecake for breakfast, as it's very easy for me to do. I'm counting this one as a success. I suppose I could bite the bullet and start using real recipes to cook, and possibly measuring out the ingredients before turning on the stove, but I want to cook like my mom. She just turns the stove on and magic happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment