Saturday, April 2, 2016

Why does music in English rarely sound good?

I don't mean to sound like a hipster here, but the English language just doesn't lend itself to music very well. Spanish lyrics just sound so much better. It's not just for music that's translated from another language to English either. I've noticed that new Spanish music just has . . . deeper meaning than English music.

All my life, I assumed it's because English is not my first language so it never sounds quite as soothing and welcoming to my ear as Spanish. That's a strange feeling since I'm way more eloquent in English by this point (like ninety percent of my formal education as been in Spanish).

To be specific, I think Shakira sounds about a hundred times better in Spanish (I think this is the point where I lose any pseudo-sophistication points I might have gained above). If you happen to be bilingual, or just bored, go listen to "Suerte", then "Whatever, whenever" on youtube. Hell, even if you don't speak Spanish, I think you'll notice that "Suerte" is just a better song.

Also, listen to "Que Me Quedes Tu", my favorite Shakira song ever ("That you are left to me", can't think of a less literal translation that makes more sense . . . perhaps "That I'm left with you", but it doesn't sound right either).
Today has been interesting because, after a sequence of events I might elaborate on at some point, I found myself listening to music from Square Enix's The World Ends With You. Specifically, I've been listening to the Japanese and English versions of "Someday". And even though I don't speak a word of Japanese, the song sounds about a million times better in its original language. Listen to this:


I find it catchy as all hell. I'm adding it to my running playlist. Now, in English:


It doesn't sound as good, though it's still really fun.

And to make sure I don't give off a "no English music ever" vibe, my favorite English song:


Leonard Cohen's "Who By Fire"!

No comments:

Post a Comment