Friday, April 22, 2016

Fire Emblem: The Astral Dragon needs to go

I'm in my third playthrough of Fates, this time just trying to get as many supports and finicky special abilities as possible, and I'm at the end of my rope with this thing:
Maid turned dragon that does nothing
At the beginning of the story, one of your maids falls down a canyon with you, turns into a dragon, and takes you to your castle in. . . Streetpass heaven, I guess. The outrealm or something like that. Saving you took so much out of her that you have to feed her in between chapters so she levels up. As far as I can tell, you jump down this canyon again with Azura and it's no big deal, but whatever. This is just an excuse to get the castle deal rolling.

For the most part, I like the castle. There's the convenient shops, the statues (which became way more awesome once I realized they raise character stat caps), the mess hall, and even the arena. The private quarters, I could do without, but at least that helps you with supports.

This astral dragon thing, on the other hand, seems to be there because Intelligent System woefully overestimated how fun it is to see a characters' EXP bar go up in a single whoosh.
Oh, I know this dragon is supposed to help during castle invasions, but it can't be moved around like a normal unit and nothing happens if it dies. So it's no different than the Dawn and Dusk Dragons you can build for decorations, except it annoys you between battles.

Here's the thing. Watching that EXP bar go up was incredibly fun in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn because it was with characters I gave a crap about. They were units that I took with me to battle; they had special abilities and I could move them around, get supports, class them up etc. Even save scumming to get Rhys every possible digit of speed had its charm. That's not the case with this astral thing.

I suppose it was mildly helpful in the Conquest route because, sometimes, it gives you a little gold bar for feeding it. But since I bought the DLC, twice actually, her little gold bars were far from worth the trouble to feed her.

There are two points in the game where it seems like I'll be free of the astral chore. Once, she dies in the story protecting me. Yes, I was relieved rather than sad because I thought the world's most boring feeding "minigame" would be over. But then you have to keep feeding a little flame and I'm just like. . . why?

Then I maxed out the little flame's stats and told myself, that's it. What more could she want?

More freaking food. Until I get it to level 100, I assume. And it's official. This thing is worse than Camilla's intro. At least that only happens once.

No comments:

Post a Comment