Sunday, July 10, 2016

First week as a doctor + a tiny example of what I do

JD from scrub said that a medical resident works 80+ hours a week, is hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, and makes as much as a waiter. I don't know if I was planning to go to medical school when I first watched that episode, but somehow it didn't steer me away from the career. And finally, July 1st of 2016, I started my residency. I make much more than a waiter, though I only ever waited tables at run-of-the-mill restaurants that were just a step above fast food. Maybe JD was talking about fancy restaurants.

The first week went well, I think. I didn't make any egregious mistakes that I can remember, though I almost forgot to order a special stain for a case. I was assigned one autopsy, which I did with a chief resident's help. I had a nice mix of routine and esoteric cases on my plate, though I got very little of it, in all honesty. It's a good thing I don't make any real decisions yet. The greatest relief is that I'm loving my job so far. It shouldn't be a surprise since my first consideration when choosing a specialty was "am I going to enjoy doing this for hopefully 30+ years?", but it's still a big weight of my shoulders that I'm not panicking at the thought of spending the rest of my life reading slides and handling autopsies.

That being said, I will have to change how I study if I want to do it effectively. Now that I have a job besides passing the never-ending barrage of standardized tests the NBME throws at me, I can't take as much time studying as I used to. Up until now, I use hard copies or relevant print-outs of textbooks, then take notes and organize them as necessary. Perhaps it's because I didn't have access to computers until the second half of my childhood, unlike the rest of my peers, but I can't seem to absorb PDFs or ebooks. Typing my notes doesn't work either. For example, these are my notes for the normal histology of the cornea:

My art has not improved at all this year
I never gave it much thought before, but since I work from 7:30 AM to 5-8 PM, I wish I could work faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment