Wednesday, June 8, 2016

I don't think Nickleback is that bad

I'm not sure why certain sections of the internet hate Nickleback so much. It's possible that the lead singer, or someone else in the band, is a well-documented backside opening, but it's way more likely that there's some sort of meme going on about who can pretend that they've been the most severely victimized by Nickleback. I don't pretend have a research the origin of the hate.

I also don't pretend that Nickleback is particularly good either. I've said in previous posts that English music has to deal with the least musical language ever, or at least the least musical language that I know. And Nickleback's lead singer doesn't strike me much either. I think Seether's lead singer does a much better job of injecting some emotions into whatever lyrics he's singing (my tastes in rock music is that of a twelve-year-old girl's).

This might be the point where I lose any good taste rep that I might've had before, but here's my favorite Nickleback song:


And by "favorite Nickleback song", I mean "least likely to skip it if I run across it on the radio". Still, the mere fact that I don't pretend to fly into a rage whenever I hear their sound makes me feel like I might be an anomaly (though considering how they're still making music and money, chances are that they have tons and tons of fans).

Then, to regain some of my nonexistent hipster cred, I will share this cover by Alkistis Proptopsalti:


My friend Chris (who has way more hardcore music taste than I do) showed me this when I revealed that I didn't hate Nickleback. Well, I mostly just told since it's not like I hide it.

Anyway, I didn't do much research on this band (or is it just the singer?) because I like their name (her name?) so much. Protopsalti Alkistis sounds like some bird of prey that's about to descend upon you and strike at your carotid, then fly off with your larynx to display for its enemies. It might just be "Mary" in the original. . . whatever language this is. Either way, I choose to keep the mystery for now.

My original point, which I probably never got to, is that they sound much better than Nickleback. I don't know if this is Nickleback's fault, or English's fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment