Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Fire Emblem Fates: just finished Birthright

It's late, at least for old ladies trapped in twenty-something's bodies like me. I have no intention of writing in-depth commentary here. No, I just intend to gripe about one specific thing.

For background, your FE characters can get married in game. If they do, they get a paired epilogue via flash card as the end credits roll by. It's a nice little bonus, specially for minor characters who don't get to appear on the game's ending scene. Also, I picked the female avatar because . . . well, there wasn't a reason. I just wanted to. I'll play the Conquest campaign as the male avatar, but I doubt there will be a difference.

Except on this next thing.

Married couples are all listed as "Male character did this and that, and his wife did this other thing, and they loved each other until the end of time, etc." I know this sounds like a tiny thing, but it's always the guy that's listed first. And it bugs me, like when that spot in your back you can't quite reach itches (I have a bad shoulder so there's actually a lot of my back that I can't reach, but I digress).

And it's not like I think the wife should always be listed first or something. In some cases, it makes sense for the guy to be lifted first. For example, "King Ryoma ushered an era of unprecedented peace in Hoshiodo blah blah blah, and his wife, that random unit the player paired him with, chilled as the queen etc." makes sense. The king (and more importantly, one of the main characters) gets listed first.

But it's always the guy first. Even when it's both relatively minor characters. And I was handling it. I mean, it's a tiny issue in the grand scheme of things. I side-eyed when we got to Princess Sakura and even though she's a princess, arguably as prominent as her brother Ryoma, she still got listed after her husband. I can't see why it wouldn't be "Princess Sakura dedicated her life to helping the poor, and her shady ninja husband lounged around in the castle looking hot. I guess. Who cares? They married for stats."

And then!

And then it was my (female) avatar's turn. And I got listed second in the game I paid for.

I am the main character, literally the chosen one of some dragon or other (I suspect I won't know until I play all three paths of the games). Anyway, I get listed after my own butler husband, who I married for his special ability that protects me in battle. And by the way, I was unsatisfied with the marriage. I should have gone with royal line pseudo-incest and married Ryoma (except there's not much pseudo about it) because I spent the entire game paired with him anyway.

You know what, I should play the Conquest as the female avatar and marry Prince Xander even though he's also my in-game brother (more than Ryoma if you want to get technical about it) and clearly the game doesn't care about decency.

4 comments:

  1. I.... honestly didn't notice this. But woooow yeah that's kinda fucked up,I was probably too high on the rush of finishing it to notice the first time (married sweet Silas) and then I gay married Niles on conquest so the order wasn't even relevant( really cute end card tho)

    Fates has all the little misogynistic and homophbic perks, its great fun (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame because I obviously love the game, but there were definitely a few things that weren't in-your-face, deal-with-it sexists (like Camilla's intro cutscene for her boss battle chapter, dear God). I guess I'm just used to deal with those.

      But this little thing just tells me that they didn't care enough to even consider how it might be an issue. For all the characters but the Avatar, I could see how they just didn't want to program different little flashcards for every marriage, but not taking the extra step for a female Avatar? No matter who her husband is? That just lets me know that they didn't care.

      Delete
  2. I actually quite enjoyed reading your thoughts on that. Never noticed that before either, kinda amazing since I've played through it 3 times now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on my third play through, and it still annoys the crap out of me. It's just pretty thoughtless.

      Delete