Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Daredevil on Netflix: Episode Three

Gif from this recap.

  • I know from watching before that this blondish goatee guy is gonna go cray-cray, but I almost want to believe he's a random nice guy again. The actor is good.
  • That being said, I never liked this "X amount of hours/days/lifetimes" thing TV shows like to pull. Why can't scene one just be scene one? I'm already watching this thing on Netflix; clearly they don't need to fight hard for my attention.
  • Especially a pointless one like that one. Also, people still waving those guns around like they're nothing, aiming them wherever (sometimes at their own body parts).
  • The intro is still boring but the music is really nice.
  • "Used to be if you killed a man you sent his wife flowers. Now you just send the wife with him." If the point was to get it across that things are getting desperate, than mission accomplished.
  • Wesley smarms it up well.
  • I'm Team Foggy on this business thing. Matt needs to think about the bills he needs to pay. I hate it when money is an afterthought in stories. Our entire does not function for people without money.
  • An now his suit might get bloody. Even a cheap suit is expensive.
  • "Which sounds better?" As far as psychos go, this blond guy is doing pretty good.
  • "I do regret any injurious consequences my actions may have caused." Poor Foggy.
  • Are people appreciating what type of douche Matt is? Imagine working with someone who disregards you quite like Matt disregards Foggy. Imagine what exactly drives Foggy to put up with it. I have my theories, and most are not good.
  • Benny's fate makes me sad.
  • The death of newspapers would make me sad, but I suspect I'm too young. I wish Benny had survived to try writing a blog.
  • "A shark in a skin suit." That's an awesome description Foggy.
  • I can empathize with how the "you're gonna do x, Y, and Z" from Skin Suit must have made Matt and Foggy feel. You wouldn't believe the number of times patients refuse to so much as give a history and demand a specific third line treatment, dosage and everything. Usually of opiates.
  • Wesley had his finger on the trigger. He's not supposed to do that unless he's about to shoot something. At least he was aiming the gun at the floor.
  • "This is the first time you've ever said I was right." That better be hyperbole, or just referring specifically to the cases for money thing.
  • It just occurred to me that Matt can always "see" when someone makes a gesture to shake his hand, and hundreds of little other things. And he can't ever reflexively react or people will think he's lying about the blindness. It would probably be better for him if he said that he isn't 100% blind, but not by much because he'd still have to face a certain degree of clumsiness.
  • This shady corporate lawyer somehow manages to seem like a not completely terrible bastard even though he's showing Karen how powerless she still is. So far, the bit part actors in this are being pretty impressive.
  • And he got all corporate-robot-manipulative smarm when he offered Karen the pen.
  • Unrealistic move. Hospitalized patients are usually begging for an outpatient facility because being in the hospital is so awful. Benny should be trying to get his wife to a good subacute rehab (SAR) facility. 
  • "No more long lunches until this is over, okay?" all casual-like even though he can barely pay her. I'm saying Matt's got an entitled streak.
  • Matt had a good closing statement. I have to admit if I'd been on that jury, I might've been persuaded to . . . vote? Idk, whatever jurors do. I'd been tempted to vote not guilty based on Matt's logic alone.
  • Though I'm not a big fan of fight scenes, I have to admit that the fight between Skin Suit and Matt was really exiting and knew not to drag on too long.
  • "You should've just killed me. You coward. *squishy blood sound* That's a way to go Skin Suit.
  • I think I heard Matt gasp "oh shit".
This episode has been the best so far. The pacing is miles away from the first two. It only dragged in that scene with Benny in the hospital. Skin Suit was adequately built up so in the last scene, when he killed himself out fear of Wilson Fisk, it actually made me afraid of Fisk for the first time. All the bit characters were done very well, including the nameless lawyer Karen saw. Benny's old criminal got his memorable line. Benny's nurse coordinator, or whatever she was, seemed a little less genuine, but that might be just because I have a bit too much knowledge about the going-ons of a hospital.

It did a good job on characterization as well. Matt and Foggy came off as competent attorneys (though Matt, of course, was the more striking of the two). Karen's interlude with her old bosses, and her determination to seek some type of justice even if the dead guy's wife is giving up, speaks well of her character.

I'm trying to judge this episode on isolation, so I will not consider what I know is coming when I give it a grade. For example, I know there won't be any more courtroom cases, and that Karen's storyline never really seems to meet up with the Daredevil's. Fisk and the art lady, at least, will continue to be interesting.

TL;DR: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment